N4323 Policy, Legal Aspects, and Informatics in Nursing
1. Create a Power Point Presentation with 7-10 slides for a 10-minute presentation to members of your small group. This is not a group project; you will work independently on your presentation. The class will be divided in groups of approximately 7-8 persons. One person from each group will be assigned to present one of the topics below. Only one person will be assigned to each of the topics. You will present your power point presentation to your small group. You will select or be assigned to a group on the first day of class and you will select your topic at that time from one of the following topics:
6) Workplace Issues and Employment
8) Heath Information Systems or New Healthcare Technology
10) Patient Satisfaction or Patient Teaching
2. Include two professional references relevant to your presentation topic. One must be a professional journal article related to your topic. The other reference can be an article, book, website, etc. that supports or adds information to the journal article you selected. Your references do not have to be limited to nursing references. In your presentation, discuss your articles/references and why you think that the topic you chose is or will be important to nursing. Points should be thoughtful and organized and include the role of the nurse.
3. The journal article you select to present must be dated within the last nine months. The second reference does not have to be within the last nine months. The purpose of the presentation is to present a current issue related to the topic you have selected. It is not meant to be general, comprehensive presentation about the overall topic. It should be about a recent issue related to your topic.
4. Create notes of what you will say in your presentation to expand and support the ideas presented on each slide. Use the notes section in power point for each slide. Your notes can be in outline form, bullet points or narrative but should include the pertinent points you want to cover for each slide. There is a 10-point penalty if you do not include notes for your slides.
5. Include at least two direct quotations from the references in your presentation representing what you deem important. Include correct citations with each quotation.
6. Creativity. Include pictures, graphics, charts etc. to help tell the story of the presentation. The presentation must include more than just a power point template and/or colored background to get full credit for creativity.
7. Upload your presentation in two places. Upload into the assignment portal by the date and time specified and also post in your group’s discussion board prior to class so your group will have access to your presentation. Your assignment will be considered late if it is not posted in the discussion board prior to class and there will be 5 points deducted.
8. The first slide will be the title slide with the topic, course number and section and your name. The last slide of your presentation should be a “reference page,” with your articles and any other references listed in APA format. Articles should be the original articles; no summaries, re-caps, editorials, letters to the editor, notes, etc. unless you have received prior approval.
9. There will be no make up for this assignment if you do not participate in the presentation.
Grading Rubric for Small Group Presentation
NURS 4323 Policy, Legal Aspects, and Informatics in Nursing
• Pertinent, thoughtful points made that present the major or important points from the article in an organized manner.
• Includes 2 direct quotes from the references that portray important ideas presented in the article(s). For credit, they must be located within the slide (5 points each)
• Importance to nursing: The importance and relevance of the topic to nursing is clearly stated and includes a minimum of three points that makes a case for why the topic is important to nursing.
• Role of the nurse: The role of the nurse is clearly identified and thorough. The discussion includes points of how the topic is or could be integrated into practice.
• Professional appearance of presentation and organized flow of presentation.
• Creativity. Includes pictures, graphics, charts etc. to help tell the story of the presentation. The presentation must include more than just a power point template and/or colored background to get full credit for creativity.
• Discussion of article – seven slides, with discussion “script” in “Notes” for five slides.
References and Format
• Quality of References- References relate to the assigned topic and are from professional or pertinent sources. One reference is current (within last 9 months).
• References in APA Style with correct spelling, grammar, and syntax