CAREER REPORT ASSIGNMENT SHEET
This Assignment is Due Finals Week – The Week of May 10
1. TOPIC OF ASSIGNMENT: Description and analysis of a career in mass communication.
2. PURPOSE OF MEDIA RESEARCH ASSIGNMENT: – To explore the work undertaken in one field of mass communications and an analysis of positions—reviewing all that is involved in being successful in those positions.
This assignment can be done as an individual project.
Your paper should be about a SPECIFIC job that people perform. For example, if you select advertising as your profession. But the student focuses on a more specific occupation, such as copywriter, account executive, director of advertising, etc.
Using all available resources, provide a full description of the industry or profession, describing:
1. possible job positions
2. description of responsibilities
3. description of skills needed for various positions
4. current state of employment in the profession
5. changes in the profession that may affect employment. For example, the expansion of the Internet means advertising firms will need those who can design ads suitable for web sites.
6. Education requirements
7. Locations where employment is more likely
8. Structure of profession, i.e., advertising is usually created by independent firms for clients.
9. Other factors that would influence someone’s decision to become involved in that profession
In the report, explain the tasks, responsibilities, and typical training of a person working in the job you have selected. Approach the job as if the reader has never heard of this career. Do not assume what the reader knows or does not know.
In addition to tasks and responsibilities, your paper should discuss opportunities for employment, typical compensation, including pay and fringe benefits, and expected lifestyle, including work hours and compatibility with non-work activities, such as raising a family. Concentrate on information about entry-level positions, but do not ignore information about people with experience.
INTERVIEW. The report also may contain an interview with an appropriate subject. The interview should be accompanied by a brief biography of the person to establish their knowledge of the job and its requirements. This will earn the student extra credit on this assignment.
Students have wide discretion in whom they interview. It may be someone who has been in the field for at least four to five years or a newcomer to the business.
Please review the sample questions. But the point of the interview is to get an overall view from someone familiar with a specific position. Based on your research and the interview, include a lengthy analysis of who would be suitable for the position. In doing your analysis consider these questions:
• What is the personality, skills, and temperament needed to work in this field?
• How does someone gain the appropriate training?
• If you were to take up that kind of job, where would you want to be in ten years?
THE FINAL PAPER SHOULD BE A MINIMUM OF SIX PAGES, ALTHOUGH IT MAY BE LONGER.
Hello, these websites are helpful in doing research for the career reports:
This is from the Pew Foundation. Very reliable and detailed
This is a government website on labor trends
The post CAREER REPORT ASSIGNMENT SHEET
This Assignment is Due Finals Week – The Week of appeared first on Skilled Papers.