Marks and Feedback
Before 10am on:
20 working days after deadline (L4, 5 and 7)
15 working days after deadline (L6)
10 working days after deadline (block delivery)
Click or tap to enter a date.
Unit title & code
Topical Marketing Communications Practice MAR031-3
Assignment number and title
Weighting of assessment
Unit learning outcomes
1. Demonstrate the following knowledge and understanding
• Demonstrate a critical understanding of how theories of advertising and marketing communications are applied in a contemporary setting.
2. Demonstrate the following skills and abilities.
• Apply skills of critical analysis and communication to professional practice standards in the context of ‘real world’ problems and utilize feedback for self-improvement.
What am I required to do in this assignment?
• This is an Individual exam: A case study response report which will use questions to allow a wide and free-ranging critical discussion of a topical issue in Advertising/ Marketing.
• Your task is to succinctly address the questions and provide a thoughtful response to the issues raised.
• You should critically analyze the issues presented in the questions based on the case study.
• Please give examples from marketing/advertising campaigns and/or organisations.
• You must use relevant theories to support your views/arguments and critical analysis from a multitude of perspectives.
• There are three questions to answer which carry the same marks. You should answer ALL questions.
The Exam will be 2 hours in duration. This is an open book exam. Two A4 sheets (4 sides) of prepared notes are allowed in the examination.
The case study will be presented to you in advance without the exam questions to enable you to prepare and conduct research on the topic area.
Questions for the 12th of January exam
1. why are kia looking for a partnership with board masters?
2. what are kia trying to achieve?
3. what do you recommend to kia in the way they should go about things?
Is there a size limit?
University guidance is 700 words per hour, so you should aim for approximately 1400 words for this assignment
What do I need to do to pass? (Threshold Expectations from UIF)
In order to pass Assignment 2 you will need to:
• Demonstrate relevant research on topical issues in marketing communications.
• Produce creative and appropriate brand solutions as a response to a contemporary ‘real-world’ integrated marketing communications problem.
• Justify proposals using relevant advertising and marketing theories.
How do I produce high quality work that merits a good grade?
This session is deliberately empty. We will be completing it together in class during week 10 of the unit.
How does assignment relate to what we are doing in scheduled sessions?
The questions in the exam will particularly focus on specific themes that have been introduced and presented over the course of the unit and will include:
• Agility in advertising in a changing social media environment
• Analyzing marketing problems
• Consumer Insight
• Strategic account planning and research methods
• Integrated marketing communications
• Brand storytelling
• Experiential marketing
• Guerrilla Marketing
• Gender Stereotypes
• Contemporary Consumer
• Marketing communications planning process
All of these themes will be taught in the lectures and you will be expected to critically analyse all and apply the relevant areas to the questions asked.
How will my assignment be marked?
Your assignment will be marked according to the threshold expectations and the criteria on the following page.
You can use them to evaluate your own work and estimate your grade before you submit.
Lower 2nd – 50-59%
Upper 2nd – 60-69%
1st Class – 70%+
DEMONSTRATING A CLEAR UNDERSTANDING OF THE SUBJECT (25%) GOOD… GRASP OF THE TOPIC & SOME OF ITS IMPLICATIONS PRESENTED.
KNOWLEDGE & UNDERSTANDING IS DEMONSTRATED. MINOR ERRORS / OMISSIONS IN CONTENT/ THEORY.
INCONSISTENT, BUT CORRECT APPLICATION OF MARKETING/ ADVERTISING/ THEORY/PRINCIPLES/CONCEPTS VERY GOOD… LEVEL OF KNOWLEDGE & UNDERSTANDING DEMONSTRATED.
COVERS MOST RELEVANT POINTS & ISSUES. FEW ERRORS / OMISSIONS IN CONTENT/THEORY.
FOR THE MOST PART CORRECT APPLICATION OF MARKETING/ ADVERTISING/ THEORY/PRINCIPLES/CONCEPTS EXCELLENT EVIDENCE OF APPROPRIATE READING. COVERS ALL RELEVANT POINTS & ISSUES.
EXPLORATION OF TOPIC SHOWING EXCELLENT KNOWLEDGE & UNDERSTANDING THROUGHOUT.
THE BEST WORK WILL SHOW IMPRESSIVE CHOICE AND RANGE OF APPROPRIATE CONTENT AND CORRECT APPLICATION OF MARKETING/ ADVERTISING/ THEORY/PRINCIPLES/CONCEPTS
MARKETING/ ADVERTISING APPLICATION AND INTEGRATION OF LITERATURE (30%) GOOD… MARKETING AND ADVERTISING INSIGHT & APPLICATION.
BREADTH, DEPTH & INTEGRATION OF LITERATURE/EXAMPLES INTO WORK IS APPROPRIATE TO THE CONTEXT AND ATTEMPTS TO BE CONSISTENT. VERY GOOD… MARKETING AND ADVERTISING INSIGHT & APPLICATION.
BREADTH, DEPTH & INTEGRATION OF LITERATURE/EXAMPLES INTO WORK IS ABOVE AVERAGE.
EXCELLENT… MARKETING AND ADVERTISING INSIGHT & APPLICATION.
BREADTH, DEPTH & INTEGRATION OF LITERATURE/EXAMPLES INTO WORK IS IMPRESSIVE.
DISCUSSION /ANALYSIS /CRITICAL EVALUATION &/OR REFLECTION (30%) GOOD… LEVEL OF DISCUSSION/ANALYSIS/ CRITICAL EVALUATION &/OR REFLECTION BUT MORE IDEAS/POINTS COULD BE ADDRESSED /DEVELOPED FURTHER.
VERY GOOD… LEVEL OF DISCUSSION/ANALYSIS/ CRITICAL EVALUATION &/OR REFLECTION & A FEW IDEAS/POINTS COULD BENEFIT FROM FURTHER DEVELOPMENT &/OR EVALUATION/COMPARISON. EXCELLENT… LEVEL OF DISCUSSION/ANALYSIS/ CRITICAL EVALUATION &/OR REFLECTION CLEARLY DEVELOPING POINTS IN THE APPROPRIATE WAY WITH THOROUGH CONSIDERATION OF ALL POSSIBILITIES.
THE BEST WORK WILL HIGHLY DEVELOPED AND FOCUSED AND ATTEMPTS A HOLISTIC TREATMENT OF THE TASK/PROBLEM.
PRESENTATION STYLE AND STRUCTURE (15%)
GOOD…CLEAR PRESENTATION & ESSAY STRUCTURE. WRITING IS MAINLY CLEAR BUT SOME SPELLING &/ OR GRAMMATICAL ERRORS. VERY GOOD… PRESENTATION & ESSAY STRUCTURE, PARAGRAPHING, FLUENT ACADEMIC WRITING STYLE.
VERY FEW GRAMMATICAL ERRORS & SPELLING MISTAKES.
EXCELLENT … PRESENTATION & ESSAY STRUCTURE. ARTICULATE & FLUENT ACADEMIC WRITING STYLE. ONLY A MINOR ERROR.