You are required to critically evaluate the role and activities of the marketing department within your own organisation or an organisation you are familiar with. This assessment should be produced in report format and be 3000 words (+10% = 3300 words).
Task 1: Provide a critical evaluation of your chosen organisation’s marketing activity in response to COVID; was the marketing strategy ready for the disruption, or were lessons learnt?
You should identify whether or not particular marketing activities are/were effective in their goal, giving sound justification for your decisions. You should use evidence/examples to support your points(this can include links to examples of adverts or other marketing activity, where appropriate).
You should consider the following:
- The concept and importance of marketing: what resources are/were invested in marketing by your chosen organisation?
- The internal, macro and micro-environments of the organisation: How have these influenced marketing strategy?
- Target market(s): Who is the main audience for the organisation; why/how was this decided; what material is used to capture the target market (use examples); is this effective? Consider market segmentation, targeting, differentiation and positioning, and the marketing mix.
- Selection of media: What are the key channels/methods of communication used for marketing (social media/networking/email/search engine optimisation, etc.…); are these appropriate/effective; why/why not?
- Measuring success: How is the effectiveness of campaigns assessed; what are the measurement metrics? If the marketing strategy is ineffective, how do they control marketing following this?
Task 2: Provide a conclusion addressing the shortcomings of your chosen organisation’s marketing strategy
It is important the conclusions drawn here are based on your prior discussion. The conclusion should not introduce new material, nor should the conclusions be ‘surprising’ based on what has been evaluated up to this point.
Task 3: Based on the conclusions drawn in Task 2, provide recommendations as to how your chosen organisation’s marketing strategy could be improved.
These recommendations should be based on the conclusions provided for Task 2. Recommendations not based on Task 2 conclusions will be considered inappropriate. You should give due attention to the feasibility of the recommendations you make: i.e. are these realistic within the budget and resource-limitations of your organisation?