Words Origins and changes
1. Identify the word that interests you.–MY WORD IS RATCHET
2. Look up the original meaning of the word using the Oxford English Dictionary . If the word isn’t in OED, then you may use Dictionary.com. Provide this in your response.
3. Locate the history or etymology of the word; provide this in your response.
4. Consider the newer definition of the word–you may use the Urban Dictionary, OED, Dictionary.com or any other scholarly source for this. Share information about the new way this word is used.
5. Finally, briefly state what the influences were which caused this word’s meaning to change–was this driven by in-group/slang usage, was there some historical event which drove the change, did occupational jargon influence the change? You may discuss any aspect that you wish related to the word in addition to those elements mentioned.
I’m looking forward to seeing the words you choose. Have some fun with this.